Forgotten Tales Review



     Amazon Prime has really become a place to find great low budget indie horror.  If one has the patience to go through the pile of crap, then you can find a hidden gem in all the trash.  I first became aware of Reyna Young with the interview she did for Johnny Dagger's documentary Blood on the Reel.  She seems legit from her interviews and you could tell she just really loves making movies.  I figured I would give Forgotten Tales a look and I can say I was surprised by the talent I watched.

     Forgotten Tales connects three stories (Ghost Story, The Babysitter, and Audition) in a fashion that is reminiscent of George A. Romero's Creepshow.  The opening graphics really do give a sense of the horror comics my mother wouldn't let me read growing up and it adds production value to the movie.  I did enjoy the little hints of stories connecting each other and that is sign of talent on Ms. Young's part.  The movie does have the acceptable level of blood, gore, and boobs which will satisfy fans of idie horror and does give the movie an edge on the competition.  

     Forgotten Tales is the kind of movie that both aggravates and entertains you at the same time.  The movie is very well made and acted despite budget shortcomings.  Ms. Young understands that you need LIGHTING in dark scenes which most filmmakers seem to forget for some reason.  She knows how to direct her cast to achieve performances that don't come off too hammy and some that are genuinely creepy.  Ms. Young and Connie Jo Sechrist really are the standouts in the film as horror heroines and I can see a bright future for both actress.  Unfortunately, with the good also comes the bad.

     The film is aggravating for me because I don't understand why movies like this don't get more recognition.  The movie tries it's damnedest with the budget limitations to be a real movie and it really is shown on screen.  The pacing is fine and the length is more than acceptable for this kind of material.  Its not like the movie zigged when it should have zagged, but with a few more bucks could have been a better movie.  I type that with the utmost respect meaning that more people should have invested in this little gem of a picture.  Reyna Young could make the transition from indie icon to mainstream director and this movie alone proves that.

     All in all I really did enjoy this film.  If you are looking for a movie that has substance over style and are a die hard fan of independent horror look no further than Forgotten Tales.

6.5 out of 10 stars 

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Wolf Rising Review

Bottom Shelf Reviews Interview: Johnny Daggers

The Cropsey Incident Review